Get rid of some windows XP Services

  • Ersteller Ersteller lich838-pr0n
  • Erstellt am Erstellt am
Thanks for the list, although be advised, dont go disabling all these at once. Do a few, reboot, check all is working as expected then disable a few more. Also RAM is so cheap these days just go grab another 512 stick :)
 
shoko schrieb:
There is a "naked" version of XP that is very useful for old computers, it's called:

Windows.XP.Professional.N.Corporate-XiSO

Is this the cut-down version Microsoft had to create for the European Union when they lost a monopoly case a year or 2 ago ?
 
Windows XP - N - Edition is just windows XP with no WinMedia Player inside , it does not have any special tweaks or is in anyway lighter . so dont bother with it really , its just for the EU laws
 
These are the service I always disable on WinXP :

IMAPI CD Burning
Indexing Service
Remote Registry
Security Center
SSDP Discovery Service
Universal Plug and Play
Windows Firewall (I use 3rd party firewall)
Wireless Zero Configuration
 
I have MUCH more RAM saved now due to turning off these services.
I saved over 100 Meg of RAM, good stuff.
If you have a wireless network I suggest leaving on WindowsZeroConfig.
 
spainmiami schrieb:
Black Viper has been tweaking XP services for several years now. And he explains alot in detail. His 1st instruction "Do not use msconfig to disable services. Type in the Run box "services.msc" instead!"Heres the link that is mirroring part of what he did. His main site is down for now.

http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

Very nice ..

I disabled everything in teh list that wasn't vital under 'MINE' Configuration ..

No problems yet ..

cool3.gif
 
Disabled what i dont need.
Computer seems to be running faster, thanks for this thread :top:
 
Microsoft.Windows.XP.Professional.SP2.Integrated.READ.NFO-ETH0.

Thats the one im gunnin for it's already got a few things patched up ;).
 
Great!!!!... i was about to start googling on the issue because of there were alot new services not present in Win2k....

Easy!... :biggrin:
 
thanks for the links.
The majorgeeks.com one is great.. and works fine here
 
I'm am happy to report that the black viper's website is back up and running. http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm I know I had posted a link to this already but it was only a mirror over MajorGeeks of one page of his entire website. Yeah his site was down for several months and some where worried he would not come back for whatever reason. He's been around for years now, hes definetly an authority when it comes to M$ services configs. Let's just hope his site stays up and he keeps up his msconfig projects.
 
i only have 5/6 services running , all the other shit i put disable... the startup is much faster without the shitty services :biggrin:
 
Nice job for explaination of all services. With no service lol that is like Safe Mode but worst ha. You can't do anything.
 
scubascythan schrieb:
I guess you would have to understand most of it to disable it... Cause I was reading through it and realized that DHCP client was to be disabled... Well I don't know about most of you but most people I know use routers thus are DHCP servers... If they didn't know that and disabled it... Lol have fun trying to connect.
Yeah, disabling the DNS client isn't a good idea either if a DNS server doesn't exist in the local network.

It's not immediately obvious but it slows down a lot, web surfing for example. That's because for each typical web page, the browser may generate 100s of UDP DNS queries upstream (i.e. to the ISP's DNS server) before it even starts fetching any data.

In general, no one without a good working knowledge of his PC should try and disable any of the default services.
 
i've done so much crap to my pc over the years that i don't mind trying some new things to help my pc run better...
i've disabled some services and until now it's been running smoothly
 
hey thx for the helpfull list
i'll try to use it on my box
 
Wouldnt it just be easier to get rid of windows? :biggrin:
 
Nice list.. Thanks for the info , that list haelped make my decision easier removing and stopping some services!! :top:
 
nice thread indeed! very useful info
 

Beliebte Schlagwörter

Du verwendest einen veralteten Browser. Es ist möglich, dass diese oder andere Websites nicht korrekt angezeigt werden.
Du solltest ein Upgrade durchführen oder einen alternativen Browser verwenden.

Zurück
Oben Unten