Toms Hardware Covers Seagate's New 750GB Perpendicular Desktop Hard Disk

Its interesting, but I'm not buying it. This is data storage we're talking about. Any first generation hard drive is a bad idea. Its too bad that the surface storage density couldn't get much better, but its good that they're working on fixing the inefficiencies of the magnetic-platter storage system. Perpendicular storage is a great idea, but I'm waiting for a bit.

Hopefully they'll license that out fairly. I wouldn't want to see the last of the competing HD makers become obsolete. I never liked WD (noisy, loud, unreliable cheap hard drives), but they've improved since the old days, and competition is good.
 
@_@ pretty soon we will have 1tb hard drives, the prices of the 300-500gb hard drives is already pretty low ($100-$140)

a few years ago 80gb used to go for $110
 
AsukaLangley schrieb:
@_@ pretty soon we will have 1tb hard drives, the prices of the 300-500gb hard drives is already pretty low ($100-$140)

a few years ago 80gb used to go for $110
I agree. Over here (in Australia) hard drives have reduced in price every month or so by about AUD$10-20 for the last 6 months.
 
I spoke too soon. I need a new drive, and the 7200.10 320gb and 500gb are the right price point for good performance. Has anyone tried these drives? I'm wary of first generation technology.
 
aussie7 schrieb:
I agree. Over here (in Australia) hard drives have reduced in price every month or so by about AUD$10-20 for the last 6 months.

yep! 320gb hdds are currently at a nice price in Australia, last time I looked it was around AU$145 or something at MSY
 
I suggest buy Maxtor. Had many bad Seagate disks. Maxtor rocks price/warrenty/releiability. Its worth to pay a little more for their Elite models and get 5 years warrenty.
 
tham97 schrieb:
I suggest buy Maxtor. Had many bad Seagate disks. Maxtor rocks price/warrenty/releiability. Its worth to pay a little more for their Elite models and get 5 years warrenty.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but almost a year ago Maxtor was aquired by Seagate.

StorageReview has shown somewhat in their survey that Seagate disks were more reliable than Maxtor, but they don't have much information on newer models. Seagate also has the 5 year warranty, and was the first to reinstate it after all manufacturers went to 1 year.

It now seems to be Seagate vs. Hitachi vs. Samsung vs. Western Digital. I've never liked WD drives since they were noisy, hot, and unreliable, but they have improved. I believe Samsung and Seagate compete well for the 2.5" drives, but on the desktop I generally stick with Seagate.
 
CrashMagic schrieb:
yep! 320gb hdds are currently at a nice price in Australia, last time I looked it was around AU$145 or something at MSY
MSY are one of my prefered places to shop.
MSY prices:
Seagate 320GB 16MB Cache 7200rpm IDE ATA100 HDD Hard Disk $146
Seagate 320GB 16MB Cache 7200rpm SATA or SATA II Serial ATA100 HDD $148
 
cateye schrieb:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but almost a year ago Maxtor was aquired by Seagate.

StorageReview has shown somewhat in their survey that Seagate disks were more reliable than Maxtor, but they don't have much information on newer models. Seagate also has the 5 year warranty, and was the first to reinstate it after all manufacturers went to 1 year.

It now seems to be Seagate vs. Hitachi vs. Samsung vs. Western Digital. I've never liked WD drives since they were noisy, hot, and unreliable, but they have improved. I believe Samsung and Seagate compete well for the 2.5" drives, but on the desktop I generally stick with Seagate.
I had Seagate and Maxtor and WD disks. Seagate disks failed (both I had) just after warenty. They had higher temp. than any others I used. I had also one (out of many) Maxtor disk fail (4 years into the 5 years warrenty). Got a brand new one sent. Send them the older one (after savings whatever I could from it). Too bad Maxtor was bought by Seagate. I hope they will keep their technology and adopt it (I bet the 750GB disk came from Maxtor's technology).

Tham
 
man, 750gb is super tempting. hope it drops to a reasonable price soon enough.
 

Beliebte Schlagwörter

Du verwendest einen veralteten Browser. Es ist möglich, dass diese oder andere Websites nicht korrekt angezeigt werden.
Du solltest ein Upgrade durchführen oder einen alternativen Browser verwenden.

Zurück
Oben Unten