American vs. British English

  • Ersteller Ersteller KobeShow
  • Erstellt am Erstellt am
K

KobeShow

Hi,

Am I the only one who just hates BE? The pronunciation is very hard... I was kinda surprised as i first heard the British accent... how can people speak like this? AE is very natural very easy to speak but the BE is really strange I think?

What are your thoughts on this??



greetz,
KobeShow

------------
Sorry for my bad English :)
 
yo i like american english more than british english, too. for example i hate the pronounciation of "can't" in BE
but in school you learn the BE :(
 
Hi Kobe,

it is very interesting, how the people think about english.
At first their was just ENGLISCH (the british version). Then there were other continents that were discovered and had to use the same language. But in america the influence of the original english was not that strong like in Australia....

Btw, i have read (vergangenheit, ka wie es geschrieben wird) that 70% of the world wide used english is out of any correct syntax and grammar :D . So who cares ?

And in Germany you also have diffenent slangs like bavarian or "platt" which are difficult to understand.
 
Yeah, sure, i think American ist much better then Britisch! We musst learn in the School AE thats ist naturaller then BE, i dont know! Its Better!

Sry for my Englisch, im cant it not very well!! xD


oaz
 
I think AE is much easier to speak, but it sounds like you eat a bubblegum...
I think in my last sentence are misstakes... Can you plz correct them, so that i can learn a better English?
 
geheim schrieb:
I think AE is much easier to speak, but it sounds like you eat a bubblegum...
That's what my mum says to me all the time! Since I play Basketball and watch many games I just know the American way of speaking Englisch... I can imagine how somebody can even speak like this there whole life, but certainly it's all a matte of habit...

@geheim: Sry, I'm in the 9th class I don't want to tell you something wrong :)
 
@geheim:
Your sentence looks ok. I just don't think you want to eat the gum :D . Its chewing a chewing gum ;) .

But what you want to say is wrong. It sound so, but that is the slang of the different states. It is not distributed all over the usa.
 
yuhu schrieb:
But what you want to say is wrong. It sound so, but that is the slang of the different states. It is not distributed all over the usa.
Truth!
People from LA would hardly understand people from NY I think, it's just like in Germany... But do you all speak BE b/c you had to learn it at school? My teachers are fine with me speaking AE, although my class-mates laughed at me a long time after pronuncing "Rock & Pop" in AE in a speech about REM... ;)
 
Well, it's an interesting topic ;)

As you said, I think AE is easier to speak, but I think, BE from a native speaker sounds still quite "cool" ^^

But usually I speak more AE.

Yours sincerely
CrYstaLX
 
CrYstaLX schrieb:
BE from a native speaker sounds still quite "cool" ^^

I have a native speaker in my class and nearly the complete class don't like it, when he speaks.
i don't like it, too.

AE sounds better than BE!
 
But that is your opinion and your friends opinion, not mine^^. I sometimes watch the BBC News channel, just to hear the British accent.

I also have one british and two native American English speaker in my class ;)

Yours sincerely
CrYstaLX
 
I think the BE is easier to understand.
In american movies eg Pulp Fiction it is very hard to understand the actors. But when listen to BBC (Radio), i am able to understand 90 per cent of the content.

Maybe your are right, when you say, the AE is easier to speak and sounds better, but its often to hard to understand.
 
hi@all

i prefer BE, although the pronounciation is more difficult. it just sounds more polite and more formal (for you more or less strange:D ). it might be difficult, but after a while you will understand and speak it very well.

so just try, you will see its not difficult,
Nibbbler
 
I think, Nibbler si right. If you're e.g. a politician it's better for you to speek BE cause it sounds more formal than AE.
But for myself i like AE more. Its easier to speak and sounds better in the every day life.
In Germany it's nearly the same. You have the formal German which isn't spoken by many and there is the German "slang" which is used by almost everybody.
 
AE is called "hamburger english" from the britains... when you have learned english in school you learned BE... and when you go to the usa you may not understand all kinds of sentences in a conversation because the pronaunciation is still differant...

greetz rave
 
British English sounds like you were gay, but it's ok^^

actually I like both kinds of speaking English
 
@ rischtig

I don't think that BE sounds gay. everyone listen to music with a AE pronouncation an nearly in every english speaking country you will hear an AE accent. A very good example is Australia or New Zealand.

greez duplex
 
My english isn't the best too, but i want to tell that iam speaking a mix of both. I can't understand the fast British speakers because they pull the "e"'s so high (example... they don't say "wet", they say "wit"). Oh my god i think all my sentences were wrong ;) what do you think? Can you correct? ^^

greetz
 
I really love this highclass British English! If I could speak such an Enlish, I would be totally happy, this American English is a very bad copy. It is just mumbled and it sounds like you are listening to a Briton with only a half tongue or something.

Palad
 
I think that AE is a bad copy of the much better BE. It sounds so gay when I have to listen to Bush or someone else from America.

So I like BE much more, maybe cause I leraned it at school.

cube
 

Beliebte Schlagwörter

Du verwendest einen veralteten Browser. Es ist möglich, dass diese oder andere Websites nicht korrekt angezeigt werden.
Du solltest ein Upgrade durchführen oder einen alternativen Browser verwenden.

Zurück
Oben Unten